The future of publishing 2

   Is publishing knowledge? Is everything publishing? Naturally not. But I like stretching this view to its limits and get new insight into things we do everyday.
   Information is something you haven't know before. I hardly dare to give a definition of knowledge but it seems that it's also information. Knowledge is qualified (justified, true, believed, ..)  information with a personal touch (maybe somethng is an information for me but not for you). So knowledge delivery is like information delivery but it differs in quality and has a personal aspect. The personal aspect may be hidden (e.g. I write a software and sell it for good money) or open like  in Wikipedia or open source software. On the other hand I have to make an effort to receive information and an even larger effort to get knowledge. 
  And knowledge drives the world. We couldn't do anything without knowing how to do it. And we can't know everything so we have to cooperate and integrate knowledge. If the future of publishing is in information integration and processing then the future of all industries lay in content management.  Design and production are continuously diverging; if I have a good design now I can produce it everywhere. in the world .So maybe in the future I wont buy new wine glasses but download it on the Internet and fabricate it on my 3D printer the same way I read a website instead of buying a paper. But even a complex thing like a computer can be produced everywhere assuming the right design is available. Production will be like publishing. If I have a book in appropriate formats it can be printed on a ink jet printer, viewed on a eBook reader or hard-cover published on a print on demand machine... And once my car will be produced in the local garage using a verified open source design...
  Maybe we should start installing content management systems in companies even if they deal with food production.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger