Empower your brain!

It's said that information technology is special because - unlike previous technology innovation - it extends our brain. The steam engine extended our muscles, the telephone our hearing, television our eyes, airplanes gave us wings... while computers (also) extend our memory, computing power, analysis capabilities, help to find connections between things and so on.
Often when I want to gather information about something, I look up on the internet, read some books and ask colleagues. I assume that most of us do it in the same way. What I miss here is some kind of extender. What if a tool would be attached to my word processor which analyses what I'm writing and looks up relevant information on the internet? It also could use the files on my computer, in the company database  or even tell me which friends or colleagues have similar interests.
It doesn't even seem to be very complicated. Modern search engines are fairly good at comparing documents and finding similar ones. The tool could e.g. extract the keywords from my text and use them for a more exact analysis.  In the next step maybe I would allow the tool to map my knowledge (i.e. build a thesaurus form the keywords I use) and use this map to see the structure of my knowledge. This would allow to look for documents, websites, databases... which fit part of my knowledge structure and also to see the weak points or hot spots (problems which occupy me the most). With the help of this information I could see where I have holes in my knowledge and get help to solve hard problems.


No comments:

Powered By Blogger